BY MILES DOTSON
Your department has noticed recently how difficult it is to locate information and critical pipeline data to confirm MAOP for your assets. In addition, your company has recently acquired new assets that also will need to be addressed. Sound familiar? Asset and records information have the potential to become problematic in most companies where forensic and measurable quality assessment is not considered high priority. Here we will address ways to avoid making this same mistake with your records information and data.
HOW ARE THESE ISSUES BEING ADDRESSED?
High quality source data and records will improve confidence in your operational status. By conducting research and verification efforts, you will reduce the number of unmanaged data sources. Aggregation of this information is important when establishing visibility and access.
When asked if difficulties were found addressing data management issues related to MAOP and Operations, companies that G2 Integrated Solutions interviewed stated the following reasons:
• DOT regulations require that all data must be compared against each other. How are operators going to accomplish this?
• We don’t compete on safety – Operator to Operator relationship. The absence of standardized models and best practices that can be shared between companies makes addressing this unclear and burdensome.
• Employees are having to stress to leadership companywide the importance of managed data and necessity to improve access.
• Organizations want to be able to summarize a composite representation of ILI records without having to access all ILI survey events independently.
• We want technology that provides flexibility to adapt. Companies don’t want to be stuck with any one-off solutions, such as vendor locked.
• There are concerns about information availability, our people companywide are not looking at the same version of the truth.
• Companies are eliminating email and hindered business processes to accomplish operational goals.
WHAT ARE THE SOLUTIONS?
Work prioritization is almost impossible if you are unable to identify areas of focus and gaps. Regarding buried assets, G2-IS is very interested in using records information to confirm material information about these assets. During this process, we confirm MAOP and asset conditions while allowing for better work prioritization for construction activities related to the asset. Digs and inspections are an example of these activities that can be optimized with more knowledge of the recorded asset condition.
What does this mean for risk and analysis? Depending on the assessment model a company is utilizing there will be a specification for the data points required. Effectively gathering this information and critical data is required to generate analysis output. If the data is accurate and structured, your company will be able to use variety of analysis techniques that will inevitably foster the growth and quality of your verified asset dataset.
By starting with a scope and expanding research outward, your entire system will be represented digitally in no time. G2 Integrated Solutions provides insightful webinars that delve more into Data Management and Records Research, and has experts available to assist you with your specialized project. Contact G2-IS today and see how we help you confirm MAOP for your assets.
Additional Research and Recommended Reading:
• Refer to G2 Integration Solutions webinars and content for help or contact our team at email@example.com.
• Start with a scope and expand your research outward, in time your entire system will be represented digitally.
• For companies with aging assets, try to refer to ASME pipeline journals, the ASME History of Line Pipe and other sources to assess your asset information comparatively with historic trends and facts. Example, API 5L X65 specification was not published until 1967 but some companies have construction dates in their system showing this specification prior to its actual existence.