BY G2 INTEGRATED SOLUTIONS
Industrial safety is always important, but the stakes are especially high if you manage a pipeline. While pipelines are the safest methods for transporting oil and natural gas, they face a number of serious threats. If you fail to keep these threats under control, the results can be catastrophic.
Regulatory compliance helps identify threats ahead of time, leading to dramatic improvements in the safety and security of the pipeline facility. G2 Integrated Solutions takes advantage of the most advanced methods for regulatory compliance, allowing you to achieve maximal safety at minimal cost.
REINFORCING SAFETY THROUGH REGULATORY COMPLIANCE
The Federal Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) maintains a body of regulations designed to improve the safety of our nation’s pipelines. The organization recently released updates for its rules, hoping to further enhance security through:
• Expanded Oversight – Traditionally, many DOT regulations on pipelines applied only in high consequence areas, or HCAs, which are sites that are ecologically sensitive or that have population centers that qualify as HCAs. While this kept the majority of people in the nation safe, it left gaps in more remote pipeline locations, leading to serious safety and environmental issues in rural areas. PHMSA has altered many of its rules to apply outside of HCAs, making pipeline safety more consistent throughout the country.
• Safer Storage- PHMSA’s recent updates fill the gaps in its regulations on natural gas storage. The organization has long had the authority to regulate underground gas storage, but until recently, it did not set any clear regulations for downhole underground reservoirs. PHMSA has announced that underground facilities, that are defined in API RP 1170 and 1171, used to store natural gas must meet minimum safety standards.
• Improved Detection- With liquid pipelines having sustained accidents in recent years, PHMSA has tightened regulations on them. The organization is now assisting liquid pipeline operators by increasing their efforts to detect unsafe pipeline conditions with mandates to correct any safety problems as soon as they are discovered. This allows operators to identify potential issues before they become a problem, reducing the chance of a accident.
These regulations will help pipeline operators to be better equipped to prevent accidents and respond to incidents when they do occur. Not only will operators be able to enhance safety for workers and the surrounding environment, the prevention of incidents will lower costs and liabilities while improving your reputation.
MODERN METHODS TO GUARANTEE COMPLIANCE
As essential as regulatory compliance is, it is often easier said than done. Pipeline operators are, first and foremost, in the business of protecting the Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) of their personnel and assets in order to reliably and safely operate the pipeline; however, they have hundreds of miles of volatile infrastructure, making it difficult to develop a comprehensive integrity management program that eliminates all dangers. Thanks to advanced technologies, it is easier than ever to ensure regulatory compliance through:
• Aerial Inspection- Aerial patrol can help operators gather data on hundreds of miles of pipeline, allowing them to quickly identify threats and take decisive action. These aerial vehicle services are available now to help monitor and improve pipeline safety.
• Regulatory and Strategic Consulting- Leveraging regulatory and strategic consulting services for DOT and OSHA/PSM compliance programs will help operators determine exactly what is needed to remain in compliance with these specific programs.
• Pipeline Safety Management Systems– With the rules governing pipeline safety management constantly changing, remaining up-to-date and ensuring your systems reflect current industry guidelines can be difficult. By implementing a system that integrates industry requirements with business process management and risk management, operators can develop efficient and effective enterprise management systems.P
G2 Integrated Solutions invests in all the latest pipeline safety technologies and methods. Our goal is to develop a comprehensive safety management system (SMS) that limits your risks while keeping you in full compliance with DOT regulations. For more information on maintaining safe pipelines, contact us today.